Moving can be stressful, especially when you’re doing so much packing and unpacking. With U-Haul trailers, you don’t have to worry about all the heavy lifting that comes with moving. But does U-Haul sell old trailers?
Currently, U-Haul does not sell used trailers. U-Haul rental dealers do however have old trucks up for sale in their rental fleet. You can buy similar trailers to those from U-Haul from other dealers.
There are a couple of benefits of using U-Haul trailers for moving, like saving you time (because you don’t need to do all the packing yourself) and money (because renting a truck is more expensive than renting a trailer). Read on to learn everything you need about buying used trailers from U-Haul.
Does U-Haul Sell Their Car Trailers?
U-Haul does not sell car trailers in any of its rental dealerships. U-Haul is a rental company whose business model is to rent out trailers in good condition. However, you can buy a well-maintained U-Haul truck from some locations complete with free 30-day maintenance.
The majority of old U-Haul trailers are recycled. U-Haul keeps its trailers in service as long as maintenance costs aren’t too high. If a trailer is old and can no longer be repaired, it’s destroyed and disposed of through recycling.
Buying a U-Haul trailer can lead you into legal trouble. If you have a U-Haul trailer without a duly signed contract, it will be considered stolen.
U-Haul has a wide selection of trailers available to rent depending on your towing vehicle. The 6×12 feet (1.8 x 3.6 meters) is the largest U-Haul trailer you can rent, while the smallest is the open 4×7 feet (1.2 x 2 meters) utility trailer.
You can also get enclosed trailers that are 4×8 (1.2 x 2.4 meters), 5×8 (1.5 x 2.4 meters), and 5×10 (1.5 x 3 meters). U-Haul also rents out open cargo trailers of 5×8 (1.5 x 2.4 meters) and 5×9 feet (1.5 x 2.7 meters). The availability of these trailers varies depending on your location and your towing vehicle.
Where Can I Buy Used U-Haul Trailers?
Buying a used trailer is cheaper than buying a new one. The trailer price is drastically reduced because it’s used, so the buyer gets a better deal on their purchase.
You can buy used U-Haul trailers from other dealers depending on the cargo size and your towing vehicle’s capacity. U-Haul owns all their new and used trailers, which are unavailable for sale to individuals or companies.
The average lifespan of a U-Haul trailer is about 25 years. When a U-Haul trailer is retired, the company destroys and recycles it into a new trailer instead of selling it. However, U-Haul trucks with a mileage of 200,000 and 300,000 are available for sale at certain dealerships.
U-Haul Truck vs. U-Haul Trailer
A hauling truck is more efficient than a trailer. It can haul more weight and drive faster, which means it can cover more ground. A U-Haul truck provides a wider range of options in terms of the load size and the distance it can cover.
Also, a truck is more cost-effective than a trailer due to its reduced usage costs. A U-Haul truck is your best option if you plan on moving many items, and it can carry more weight than a trailer.
While trucks are larger and have more room for your belongings than trailers, trailers are easier to tow and store. U-Haul trailers are cheaper to rent, maintain, and operate.
When you factor in the cost of fuel, insurance, and maintenance, it becomes clear that renting a U-Haul trailer is more cost-effective for businesses with high volumes of goods to transport. Also, consider reading Are Used U-Haul Trucks Any Good?
Benefits of Renting a U-Haul Trailer
If you’re looking for a trailer, you might wonder if it’s more economical to buy or rent. Renting a trailer has many benefits that make it worth the investment.
- Renting a U-Haul trailer can be cheaper than buying one. It’s also a good idea if you’re unsure how often you’ll need to use it.
- You don’t have to worry about maintenance or repairs, as this is the company’s responsibility. You also don’t need to worry about storage space, which can be difficult for people who live in larger homes or apartments.
- When renting a U-Haul trailer, there’s no commitment. You can rent for as little as one day or as long as six months, which means you have total control over the length of time and when you want to stop renting the trailer.
The above benefits make renting an excellent option for people who need trailers only once in a while or are unsure how long they will need the trailer.
Benefits of U-Haul Trailers Over Other Trailers
- U-Haul trailers are lighter and easier to tow. The weight is reduced because they have a smaller frame, so you can tow the trailer with a smaller vehicle without worrying about your car breaking down from the extra weight.
- The U-Haul trailer also has a lower profile, making it easier to load onto your car or truck bed. It also has an aerodynamic design that reduces drag while towing and improves fuel efficiency.
- U-Haul trailers are designed to offer more space for storage. In addition, they have a large door that makes loading easier and faster.
- U-Haul trailers are cheaper than other trailer rentals because they have low monthly payments and rental fees for each trip you take.
- U-Haul trailers have a greater range of designs and sizes, allowing them to be used for different purposes.
U-Haul trailers are becoming more popular because of their efficiency. They can transport an entire household, including furniture and appliances, at a fraction of the cost of a moving truck. A U-Haul trailer is a great option for cross-town and cross-country moves.
These trailers are also more affordable and functional than traditional trailers. They’re easier to maneuver, and you can use them for various purposes. However, the only problem is that you can only rent a U-Haul trailer as none are available for sale.